Practical information, instructions and preparation for your circumcision.
Reschedule or cancel an appointment
If you are unable to attend or want to reschedule the appointment, please let us know at least 2 days in advance. If your son is ill on the day of the circumcision, you can reschedule the appointment by telephone to another day. If you do not appear for your appointment or arrive so late that your treatment can no longer take place, we are forced to charge costs.
The patient can be awakened if necessary. As with early awakening from sleep, this is unpleasant. It is best to let the patient sleep in and to remain calm.
- The operation is performed under local anesthesia. This means that your son can eat or drink normally beforehand. With sleep sedation, your son may have a light meal up to 2 hours before the procedure.
- For young infants, it is nice if you bring something to drink because he may cry for a while after the anesthetic injection.
- Your son, when he is about 6 months or older, will get a "daze". This is a kind of sedative (Midazolam) via a nasal spray.
- If he is older than ± 4 years, prepare him. Tell him that he will get an anesthetic injection and that the skin will be removed without feeling any pain.
- Your son should take a shower before the circumcision.
Give your son paracetamol 1 hour before the procedure according to the table below to ease the pain after the operation.
- 0-3 months: 1 suppository of 60 mg.
- 3-12 months: 1 suppository of 120 mg.
- 1-6 years: 1 suppository of 240 mg.
- 6-12 years: 2 suppositories of 240 mg (or 1 tablet of 500 mg).
- 12 years and older: 2 tablets of 500 mg.
Anesthetic ointment EMLA
What does this medicine do and what is it used for?
The active ingredients in Emla are lidocaine and prilocaine. Lidocaine and prilocaine are narcotics. This combination is used in cream and patches to numb the skin or mucous membranes.
On normal skin it works after an hour. On the foreskin within 15-30 minutes. The effect lasts for about two hours. After applying the cream, the skin is covered with a closing foil, gauze or the diaper so that the cream penetrates well into the skin.
The cream is removed just before the procedure and the skin is then cleaned.
The ointment is applied immediately upon entering the clinic. After that, the formalities are gone through and the intake interview also takes place. In this way it can sit on it for as long as possible and do its job well.
What to bring
- Clean underwear and possibly diapers to use after the procedure
- For young infants, it is nice if you bring something to drink with you because he may cry for a while after the anesthetic injection.
- Your son's health insurance card, a valid proof of identity from both parents and possibly an authorization from the parent who is unable to attend.
You must be present at least 1 minutes before the procedure because of the intake interview. Both parents must be present at the circumcision. One parent is sufficient if there is a written authorization from the other parent, with a copy of his or her proof of identity.
The circumcision by the clamp method
During the intake interview, your son (if he is older than 1 year) will already receive a nasal spray to make him sleepy. Your child takes place on the treatment couch with the lower body bare. The foreskin of the penis is numbed through 1 or more injections just under the skin at the base. Everything around the penis is cleaned and covered sterile. After checking whether the anesthetic is working properly, the foreskin is then detached from the glans. After the length has been determined, the inner ring of the clamp is placed over the glans. The excess skin is pushed back over this. After determining the length again, the clamping ring is placed over the inner ring and tightened, so that all blood vessels are properly closed. After a final check of the position and length of the foreskin, the excess foreskin is cut away. The acorn is fully protected by the inner ring. Because all blood vessels are tightly clamped, there is virtually no blood loss. There is no need to use a bandage because the wound is already closed. A circumcision takes an average of 5-10 minutes.
No follow-up appointment will be made. You can remove the clamp yourself, relatively easily. You will receive instructions on this.
The circumcision by the suture / tissue glue method
Your child takes place on the treatment couch with the lower body bare. The foreskin of the penis is numbed through 1 or more injections just under the skin, at the base. Everything around the penis is cleaned and covered sterile. After checking whether the anesthetic is working properly, the foreskin is then detached from the glans. The length of the foreskin is then determined and then cut away. Any bleeding vessels are closed quickly. Finally, the remaining skin is glued all around with tissue glue, just below the rim of the glans. sometimes a single suture is placed. A circumcision takes an average of 20-30 minutes.
There is generally no standard follow-up check. The sutures and tissue adhesive used will dissolve by themselves in 1 to 2 weeks.
Information after circumcision
You will receive a letter with instructions on what to do after the circumcision. The letter also contains a telephone number that you can call in case of problems . You will also receive a letter to hand in to your GP.
You can pay by card and cash at our locations.